Staying in the US under the visa waiver program

Asked over 1 year ago - Edgefield, SC

I was wanting to know how I can have my cousin stay in the United States after her waiver program was denied . I was wanting to know how can she go back with all the rioting and turmoil in her country of Greece .

1. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . She could try for a student visa.

Unfortunately, the turmoil in Greece isn't a 'problem' that the US Government feels responsible for. Thus, you/she will find it best not to mention this when applying for visas, or consulting with people.

Consider a paid consultation (many of us use Skype for this) with an immigration attorney ... to explore other options.

2. Tracie Lynn Klinke

Pro

2

Answered . The situation is Greece isn't bad enough to give your cousin any special treatment for staying in the US beyond her authorized time. If she entered the US on the visa waiver program, she really has no choice, but to leave the US. She can't change her status to student in the US, but she could apply for a student visa back in Greece.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Options depend on facts. You really need to meet one on one with an experienced immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, so that he/she can review all your documents and facts in order to determine what your options are.