Stay on L1B visa beyond 5 years

Asked over 1 year ago - Hartford, CT

Hi, I am having valid L1B visa until 20th July 2013 but my maximum stay (5years) in US on L1B is getting over in May-2013. So would like to know if I can stay in US until my VISA expiration (July-2013)?"

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You cannot remain in the US in L-1B status more than 5 years.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The I-94 is what controls not the visa which is only used for entry consideration purposes at the border after inspection and admission by the USCBP Inspector at the port of entry. You can ad an additional 2 years "if" you qualify for an L-1A upgrade otherwise you must depart timely after the expiration of your maximum stay on your L-1B. You should consult competent immigration counsel to discuss and explore potential options if any.

  3. Mark Albert Bissada

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . The visa is only valid for travel to the US. What determines your lawful status in the US is the I-94. This is the date by which you either have to depart the US, or apply for a change of status to another lawful status.

    My response to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is this information to be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,511 answers this week

2,753 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,511 answers this week

2,753 attorneys answering