Statute of limitations on suing the police?

Asked over 3 years ago - Glenarden, MD

An altercation occurred between myself and an off duty plainclothes police officer on February 25, 2010. I would like to sue him, is it too late for me to also sue the police department since it has been over a year since the incident? I want to sue them for negligently handling a serious matter I brought to them. Their decison towards complaint was handled in July of 2010 and the appeal was handled in December 2010. Is there any way I can still sue them given those are the dated that they came to their rulings in the investigations?

1. Thomas C Valkenet

Pro

1

Answered . You must sit with a local tort claim lawyer to discuss the effect of the Maryland tort claims act, or the local government tort claims act. Notices must be sent, timely, before you can sue a government entity or officer. And there are limits on recovery.