Statute of limitations for dental billing in Maryland? I got a bill from a 2009 service yesterday.

Asked over 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

My son had his wisdom teeth out in Nov. 2009. I thought my dental insurance covered it all but I just got a bill yesterday for $1200. Do I have to pay it?

1. Ian Thomas Valkenet

3

Answered . The statute of limitations in Maryland is generally three years, unless specifically extended by statute, concealment, or tolling due to disability.

If you have been served with a District Court complaint, file your Notice of Intention to Defend promptly (it must be filed within 15 days of service), and allege the defense of statute of limitations. Consult with an attorney if you are confused about the process of defending the potential lawsuit.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

However, keep in mind that in Maryland, if you acknowledge that you owe the debt beyond the date when the original dental surgery occurred, then that extends the statute of limitations.