Statute of limitations for child molestation

Clifton, VA |

If a child was molested in one state, but by the time the victim's repressed memories surface--the victim and abuser have moved to two other states--how does one proceed when seeking legal recourse? What is the statute of limitations for molestation? If the abuser has since become a registered sex offender, but has finished the years of probation--how would that affect the situation?

1. My responses are based on Virginia law only. There is no statute of limitations for child molestation in Virginia. The laws of Virginia will only apply in this case if the molestation occurred in state. The fact that the abuser has completed his probation does not affect the validity of the claim. The abused individual should speak to an investigator so that they can evaluate the evidence and determine if the case can be prosecuted.