Statute of limitations and rules on medical collections in WA State. It has been over 6 yrs since date of service.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Seattle, WA

My fiancé & I are planning to buy a house soon. He hasn't seen his credit report in a decade. Now on his credit report is 2 collection agency charges. He paid a different collection agency for hospital charges from 9/3/2005 surgery. He contacted the agency on his CR yesterday; they do not have the debt anymore, it’s now at another agency. In 7/2010 this agency sent him a note w/service date 12/2003. He then replied by cert mail saying he was not in hospital on that date. Never heard from them again. He called them today about the other charges on CR to tell them to remove it. The acct #s & amounts are different. Can they go after him now that he called to ask about it? They knew his address since at least 2010 & never attempted to collect before. It has been more than 6 yrs now.

1. Ryan Scott Schneider

1

1

Answered . His call to inquire about the charges will not renew the debt. Only a payment or specific promise to pay will renew a statute of limitations in Washington. I suggest you dispute it through the credit reporting agencies. They will forward the dispute to the businesses that have placed the information on his credit report. Here is a link that should explain the proper steps to take... http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit....

2. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . He needs to pull his credit report and send a dispute to the credit bureaus.

He needs to contact the debt collectors and dispute the debts. Doing this triggers a requirement that they provide a notice to him if this is the first contact (sneaky but worth it).

He also needs to contact the debt collectors to dispute the debts as the letters come in. They may be too old to collect at this point. They have to prove otherwise.

If there is a judgment, find out how and where he was served. If service was proper, he is out of luck.

Contact does not renew the statute of limitations, but payment and promises to pay do. Do not do that, inquire only.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . Washington Statutes of Limitation

Written contracts and accounts receivable: 6 years, (RCW 4.16.040).

Oral contract: 3 years (RCW 4.16.080).

Recovery of property and judgments: 10 years, (RCW 4.16.020).