Skip to main content

Status change from H1b to Greencard

New York, NY |

I have received greencard thru my wife's (USC) petition. Do i need to inform my employer that my status is no longer H1b. Do i need to submit my I 94 to USCIS.? Is there any different tax brackets for h1b holder and greencard holdar? Do i need a visa to travel to canada? which countries i can travel without visa? what are the advantages of having greencard? what are different benifits of having a greencard and having a citizenship?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    You should notify your employer of your change in immigration status. The company will likely want to update your I-9.

    You do not need to return the I-94 to USCIS. You should keep the document in your possession through naturalization in case any potential issues arise.

    You need to speak with an accountant/tax attorney about the tax implications of being a lawful permanent resident as this is not an immigration matter. That being said, you can no longer claim to be a non-resident alien for tax purposes especially if you wish to naturalize.

    You need to check with each country you wish to visit to determine if a visa is needed. Each country has there own rules. You can find the information either on the country's website or consulate.

    The advantages of having a green card is that you are a permanent resident of the U.S. Otherwise, once you completed the maximum time on H-1B, you would need to leave the country. You can remain in the U.S. permanently unless your status is otherwise taken away.

    The benefits of being a U.S. citizen is that your status cannot be taken away unless USCIS can establish you received your green card through fraud or you commit treason. You will receive a U.S. passport.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

  2. You should tell your employer. You do not need to do anything with your I-94. You should discuss taxes with an accountant.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. Too many fine points to cover in one brief paragraph. To make sure you receive enough legally accurate information, schedule a meeting with an immigration attorney of your choice.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

  4. Inform your employer,
    you do not need a visa to travel to Canada,
    you do not have to submit your I-94 to USCIS.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  5. Yes. Tell your employer. Also update with the Social Security Administration. As for taxes, you must file as a US Resident and not as "non-resident." You also should not leave the US for extended periods of time.

    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

  6. I agree with my colleagues. You need to inform your employer. Also, you do not have to submit your I-94 to USCIS. Consult with a CPA or tax lawyer about tax issues. You do not need a visa to travel to Canada. To learn more about which countries, you can travel to without a visa visit Also, if you are planning a long trip outside the U.S., you will want to file for a reentry permit. Since, a green card holder who leaves the U.S. for 6 months or more may be considered to have abandoned his or her permanent residency status. Consult with an immigration attorney to help you with the process.

    The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics