STATUE OF LIMITATIONS A CHILD CAN FILE FOR PATERNITY IN CT AND CAN MY ASSETS AND INCOME BE USED TO CALCULATE BACK OWED SUPPORT?

Asked about 2 years ago - Hartford, CT

My fiance has an estranged child living and born in CT. His name is not on birth certificate. When the child was 1 the mother told him to stay away. Can my assets and income be used to calculate any backed owed support should he and I ever marry? How far back can that go? Can I guard against being subject to any legal action should that day ever come where paternity is established via a prenuptial agreement? We have 2 children together and I want to protect their having to share my assets with this estranged child. I have my own investments and property all in my name at this point. We live in MA.

1. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Answered . This is complex. If your fiancé wants a relationship with this child he should speak to local counsel.