Skip to main content

State warrant and immigration

Salt Lake City, UT |

Dear attorney,

Can any people leave the US if they can warrant in any states ? Or it depends what kind of warrants ?
Is not showing up on the court date a very serious one ?

Attorney Answers 3


Contact an immigration attorney in SLC. My colleagues are correct that you can leave the US with warrants out for your arrest, especially if they are for misdemeanors. Major felonies might prevent you from leaving. However, depending on the type of case, you might not be allowed back into the country or get arrested at the border if there is an outstanding warrant.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree

1 comment



Thanks for your reply. Do you believe DUI (not cause any accidents, just got caught by cops on the road) can is that type of warrant that prevents people to leave the country and lets people to be arrest after coming back ?


Usually it is not the leaving that causes a red flag but the fact there exists a warrant can cause serious issues if one returns. It would be best to contact an experienced immigration attorney who can examine your immigration and criminal history prior to making any decisions related to leaving the jurisdiction. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree leaving may not be a problem but coming back surely will. Contact an immigration attorney to discuss in more detail. If you want to try and find one in your area here on AVVO you can select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics