State jail felonies

Sealy, TX |
Filed under: Felony crime

Are the courts still accepting state jail felonies?

Of course.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

Not sure if you can answer this question or are allowed to, but there's been a lot of rumbling about state jails closing. Have you heard about this?

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Sometime state jails have lost their funding and will close. State jail felony is still a valid offense and will be prosecuted. There are plenty of other facilities to house these felons.

I understand that it is still a valid offense and I'm aware that there are other facilities to house these felons - All I was asking is, if you had heard anything about state jails closing. I heard one close in Dallas and San Antonio (I think), but these were due to losing their funding.

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

I'm sorry. Based on your original question, it seemed you thought there was a connection between some of the units closing and state jail felonies still being prosecuted.

I'm not sure what you mean by "accepting" state jail felonies. It's the Texas Legislature that decides how offenses are classified and which courts they to to, not the courts themselves. A court really doesn't have any say about what cases it gets. Are the courts still handling state jail felonies? Yes, just like they have for the last 20 years or so--nothing significant has changed about that.