Skip to main content

State felony charges can I transfer to another state

Euless, TX |
Filed under: Felony crime

I got in trouble in Tx and I have 4 counts of state felony charges on credit card fraud. I was wondering if I will be able to transfer to Ca. If so how long could it take.

Attorney Answers 3


It may be possible, you will need to speak to the community supervisor and California has to agree to accept the transfer. It is best to do all this before entering into a community supervision arrangement. Other alternatives may include reporting by mail or early termination if you have successfully completed all the requirements of the community supervision.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You need to tell your probation officer you want to move to California, and specifically where. He/she will have to contact California to see if that county will accept you as a probationer. There is no right to a transfer out-of-state. In no circumstance do you move without approval from your probation officer. Unknown as to how long the process will take.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


First, you cannot transfer the charges at all. They are in Texas and there they will remain.

If you get probation then even the you may or may not be able to move to California - it is up to California whether or not they accept you UNLESS you were a resident of California at the time of the offense and then they must accept you.

You need to hire a Texas lawyer.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics