Starve my family and continue visitation or be held in contempt?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pocatello, ID

I am being held in contempt for not bringing the kids for visitation due to lack of funds, even when I asked for make up time or an alternate location to exchange. The trip is 10 hours round trip to drop off and another 10 hours round trip to pick up every other weekend. The child support payments are never consistent and do not cover the total cost for fuel.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . This is a Q&A forum for questions about the law and legal procedure. Although you haven't actually asked such a question, a comment about contempt proceedings might help. Also, the attitude in your first statement is not helpful. When you appear in court on this issue, the civil tone and the meritorious arguments you make in your explanation will advance your cause. Lose the snide comment about starving your family.

    The judge won't hold you in contempt without hearing your side of the story, and impossibility is a valid defense. Put another way, contempt is a knowing violation of a specific court order without a valid excuse. It is not clear why you are required to assume the entire transfer burden, but you should consult with an experienced family law practitioner about the possibility of changing the custody order to reduce the number of transfers.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Related Topics

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,756 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,756 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering