Starting an Independent Production Company (Film & Television), in order to get grants, which is better Non-Profit or LLC?

Aberdeen, OH |

I'd like to get a grant for equipment and a building, but also pay employees.

This is difficult to answer with the limited detail provided. That being said, it probably comes down to whether or not you wish to make distributions to the members. Ohio Non-Profits have a no distribution rule. The practical effect of this is your members (shareholders) will only be able to receive reimbursements for expenses and will not be able to receive a share of any profits.

I hope this helps.

The materials on this website are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. These materials are intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be current, complete, or up-to-date and should in no way be taken as an indication of future results. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. The answers or articles posted on this website by Nicholas C. DeSantis are offered only for general informational and educational purposes. They are not offered as and do not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely on any information contained in this website without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business