Starting a medical marijuana dispencery legally in washington state

Asked over 5 years ago - Everett, WA

I am thinking about starting a medical marijuana dispencery in washington state and I was wondering about the legal aspects. I have several people interested in joining all with legal medical documentation. I also was thinking about making it into a none profit organization

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . You need to consult a lawyer in WA. Although your state may have medical mj laws it is still a federal crime. A producer growing in quantities can be subject to federal scrutiny. This is one to be careful on.

2. Howard Woodley Bailey

Pro

Answered . I agree with my collegue. You need to discuss this with an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in WA before you take any action in regards to this. Marijuana is a Schedule I Controlled Dangerous Substance under the Federal Criminal Code. Potential risks include you and everyone involved being charged with Possession and Possession with the Intent to Distribute, even if you do not actually dispense any to another person.

DISCLAIMER
    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship; or, constitute either legal advice or attorney advertising. Rather, given the nature of this forum, it is offered solely for information purposes, as a starting point for you to use when speaking directly to a lawyer in your State. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical for you to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions. Do not presume that the law of the State where I practice will apply to the circumstances you are faced with in the State where you are charged. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State before making any decisions about your case.