Starting a company on H4 Visa

Asked over 1 year ago - Vancouver, WA

I am on H4 Visa. I want to start an Information technology company mostly a C-Corp as my visa status doesnt allow me to salary. I will be a passive investor and work will monitored by people from India. Is it legal. Also advise needed on choosing attorney. what kind of attorney do i need to start with.

1. 6

Answered . I agree with Mr. Bahar. If it's more like owning stocks, and be truly passive, sure. Talk with business attorneys in Washington State. Good luck with your venture.

2. 7

Answered . While on an H-4 visa that doesn't allow you to work or be employed you can nevertheless set up a business entity, just like you are allowed to invest in the stock or futures market, but will not be allowed to work in it. You are, however, allowed to make others work and supervise and direct their activities. You need a transactional, business attorney. You can find one in WA by selecting the "Find a Lawyer" option on Avvo located on top of this page (second from left.)

3. 4

Answered . No, don't do it.

No, don't do it.

Talk to an attorney (many of us use Skype) to learn why you should NOT DO IT.

4. 4

Answered . You are permitted to own a business on H-4. However, the line between passive investment and unauthorized work can become very thin. Consult with an immigration attorney if you are going forward with the investment/business so you can minimize the risk of the business ownership affecting your future US immigration status.