Starting a commercial and residential cleaning business in New York.

Jamaica, NY |

I have a felony fraud/forgery conviction from 16 years ago, in another state. I'm thinking about starting a cleaning company on my own. I see that most cleaning companies are bonded and insured. Will my conviction stop me from getting bonded and insured , and do I even need to be bonded and insured to be successful in this area of work?

The short answer is that there's only one way to tell whether this will be an impediment... ask a few companies whether they will issue a bond with that record in your past. Chances are that this may not be an absolute prohibition to starting a cleaning company but I would be surprised if any of the more lucrative contracts did not require bonding and insurance. Nonetheless, do not lie on the application as that could have much worse consequences if it ever came to light. Good luck.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Balassa is licensed to practice in the State of Maryland, the District of Columbia and the US Federal Courts in Maryland. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Balassa is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

I have a provided a link to an article about starting a cleaning business in New York that you may find helpful.

The information provided is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current. I make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information. You should not act or rely on any information at above without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisement

Business topics