Started a business 20 years ago with three partners . I own 25% . My wife agreed that she doesn't want any of the business .

Asked over 1 year ago - Chino Hills, CA

Is this legal in California to just pay off my salary and not my profit shares for they're not guaranteed.

1. Michael Charles Doland

5

Answered . You can covert separate into community property and visa versa through a transmutation agreement. I cannot understand your final sentence.

2. Armen Garabedian

2

Answered . It's not clear whether your question is about your wife's interest in the company or distributions to you based on the company's structure and agreements among the partners.

3. Victor Look

2

Answered . In California, all assets and income derived or obtained or derived during the course of a marriage is considered "community property", of which your spouse has a 50% interest in. Unless there is an agreement in writing to the contrary, your wife has a 50% interest in the 25% interest of the business that you own with the three other partners.

The salary you are paid from the business is considered community property, so are the profits and losses from the business. Therefore, your wife has a 50% interest in the salary you are paid, and a 50% interest in the profits/losses from 25% of the business as a whole.