Staring an S-Corp?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I'm starting an online business, but want to setup the s-corp under different name that doesn't specifically connect with website. S-Corp named Acme Inc, but the website is named Customers will be billed by instead of Acme Inc. Is this legal, or does your corporation have to be registered under the same name that your doing business with?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Shaun K. Boss

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A corporation can do business using a fictitious business name if the proper filing and publication requirements are met. That will allow the corporation to do business under the fictitious name in the County in which the filing is made. The better question is why do you want to do this? There may be a better way to achieve your purpose.

    This answer does not constitue legal advice, nor does it creat an attorney/client relationship. If you are... more
  2. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The simple solution is that your corporation file and publish a fictitious business name in the county where its principal place of business is located.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  3. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with both my colleagues' excellence answers.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  4. Kevin Richard Martin


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Your corporation can do business under a fictitious name, and that name can be on your invoices etc. You could put a note on the bottom of your invoices to the effect of " is a division of Acme, Inc."

    This is not a legal opinion, and should not be relied upon as such. Contact MARTIN APC at 510-444-7600 with any... more
  5. Sarvey Askarieh

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues here. A corporation does not need to be incorporated under the same name it chooses to conducts it's business. If a corporation chooses to do conduct business under a name other than its legal name, it needs to register for a fictitious business name (also known as a DBA "Doing Business As") and have it be properly filed and noticed.

    The information and materials provided by SARVEY ASKARIEH on this Website are for informational purposes ONLY and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,092 answers this week

3,127 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,092 answers this week

3,127 attorneys answering