Staring an S-Corp?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I'm starting an online business, but want to setup the s-corp under different name that doesn't specifically connect with website. S-Corp named Acme Inc, but the website is named XYZ.com. Customers will be billed by XYZ.com instead of Acme Inc. Is this legal, or does your corporation have to be registered under the same name that your doing business with?

1. Shaun K. Boss

8

Answered . A corporation can do business using a fictitious business name if the proper filing and publication requirements are met. That will allow the corporation to do business under the fictitious name in the County in which the filing is made. The better question is why do you want to do this? There may be a better way to achieve your purpose.

2. Michael Charles Doland

7

Answered . The simple solution is that your corporation file and publish a fictitious business name in the county where its principal place of business is located.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with both my colleagues' excellence answers.

4. Kevin Richard Martin

Pro

Answered . Your corporation can do business under a fictitious name, and that name can be on your invoices etc. You could put a note on the bottom of your invoices to the effect of "XYZ.com is a division of Acme, Inc."

5. Sarvey Askarieh

Answered . I agree with my colleagues here. A corporation does not need to be incorporated under the same name it chooses to conducts it's business. If a corporation chooses to do conduct business under a name other than its legal name, it needs to register for a fictitious business name (also known as a DBA "Doing Business As") and have it be properly filed and noticed.