Staffing agency interviews

Asked over 2 years ago - Cambridge, MA

I have had very good interviews with staffing agencies. I interview well, have a strong resume, and was told by the staffing agent s/he would be sending me a couple of job descriptions to look over. These are positions we discussed in detail at my interviews. I have not heard anything and have the feeling the staffing agency completely dropped my application. I have excellent credit, no criminal history and cannot figure out why this happens (more than once). *Do I have a legal right to know? *If a background check has been done on me, do I have a right to obtain a copy of this from the staffing agency?

1. Philip W. Mason

Pro

1

Answered . Regrettably, the agency does not have to explain anything to you unless you are a member of a protected class and file a discrimination action against them showing a prima facie case. Neither dose the agency need to review any background checks, with one exception — CORI, if you authorized the agency to obtain it.

If you are in a protected class, i.e., age, gender, sexual orientation, etc., and can find some evidence of discrimination, I urge you to contact the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) who prosecute the case at no cost.

If you think it is more personal, I would review your references, social media postings, and anyone who may have been interviewed during a background check.

2. Meghan Hayes Slack

Answered . I wouldn't be so suspicious. As you have stated, there is no reason that they would not want to find work for you. If they place you, they get paid, therefore they have a strong incentive to consider you for any and every job for which you are likely to be considered a strong candidate. Unfortunately, the economy is still slow, and staffing agencies take a hard hit during times like these. The agency probably does not have nearly enough positions to go around.

Still, there is no harm in contacting the agency again and inquiring about positions that may be available.