SSI review

Lindenhurst, NY |

I am on SSI right now I filed for disability though.The administrative judge said my case will be reviewed in 2 or 3 years. 1. I got a letter from the SSA saying they are going to review it now at 6 months. Do they usually do that? They still owe me 4,000 grand from retro. Next month is the next installment.

My colleagues are correct. SSA allowed to review claims every so often, they are actually REQUIRED to review every claim within certain time frames. and while the ALJ can recommend tiome frames, it is up to SSA to decide when a case is reviewed, not the Judge.

Sorry I do not have a better answer.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a means-tested program, for which beneficiaries report financial circumstances on an ongoing basis, and reviews can be triggered by the information reported. The ALJ was probably referring to review for medical improvement.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

3. Reviews occur all the time. Sometimes they are sparked by receiving information that a person has additional assets and other times they seem almost random. As long as your circumstances have stayed the same there should be no problem. Do not be alarmed.

Administrative law topics