SSI recipients claiming Adult child benefits under fathers SSD.

Asked over 1 year ago - Wilkes Barre, PA

Hello, I live in PA, I have two disabled children, one is 24 and one is 20. they have been receiving SSI for their disabilities since the age of 5. My son and daughter both receives 690/mo (actually 710 but they take 20 out for an overpayment) Now their dad has become disabled about 9 months ago, so i filed for the adult child benefits and claimed under their Dad's SSD. I was told by SS the claims will be approved but their dollar amount will stay the same. They will get one check for 425 on the 1st of the month and then one on the third for 265 on the third, which equals to 690/mo. Is this corrct ? I thought there was supposed to be a 20.00 increase each, or 718 being the max they could pay out. I thought their would be a small increase their amounts. Is what they are doing correct? MJ

Additional information

I am sorry that is 265 on the first of the month and then 425 on the third.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . The maximum a child can get under these facts is the $710. If the disability rate under Dad's account was higher, then they could get more, but after accounting for the overpayment, the figures sound correct. And, dad's rate is based on taxes he paid when he was able to work and earn money and pay taxes, and they do not usually mess up that number, so that is probably correct too.

    The overpayment does not stop getting collected even when th money comes from a different SS numbered account - SSA wants it's money back no matter what.

    Sorry, bu this sounds coorect. Best of luck to you.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,198 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,198 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering