SSDI how long is the wait from here after ALJ decision?

Asked about 2 years ago - Downey, CA

I received a bench decision for SSDI recently out of Long Beach, CA and was wondering if anyone local could tell me the time frames to look at. I've called SSA and they say 60-120 days but I thought it would go through faster with a bench decision. Also, my atty is out of state so he is giving me the "average". My LTD says they may estimate my payments and just pay me the minimum $100 a month until the paperwork comes through. Some of my payments (like car) are understandable and accepting a ltr from my atty but others like Electric and Water are saying if I dont pay I can have my utilitites turned off. Can you let me know the averages you are seeing for this area with a bench decision specifically? I'm trying to prepare for a lapse in payments, worst case.
Thanks

1. Eric Leonard Bolves

Pro

1

Answered . Once a Judge has made a decision, a written notice of it is created. The file is transferred to a payment center which does the calculation of benefits and mails out a "Notice of Award" about 30 days after the ALJ's decision. Usually the first payment arrives around the same time.
    Eric Bolves
    2110 E. Robinson St. Orlando, FL 32803
    4074-894-1002
    www.thelegalcenter.com

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

1

Answered . If you got a tue bench decision, the ALJ would have read the decision into the record and you would have gotten a letter in 10 to 14 days. if the ALJ simply announced he was going to approve your claim, that is not a bench decision, and then it could take 2 to 4 months for the deecision and another 30 to 60 days for the final award letters to be issued and benefits to be paid. SSA does not really care about your financial position now - you had a hearing and the case is being written up, so they will get to it soon. It is unfortubnate, but that is how SSA works.

The best news is it sounds like you will get benefits, so good luck to you!

3. Maria Laura Sigaud Hernandez

1

Answered . It really depends on the judge who is presiding over your case. Bench decisions are announced with much less regularity than regular fully favorable decisions. A "bench decision" is when the judge announces at the hearing that he/she will find you disabled and then reads his/her findings into the record. Usually within 1 or 2 weeks of the hearing, you will receive an abbreviated decision with the findings announced by the judge at the hearing. If the judge merely states he/she will find you disabled but does not read the findings into the record, this is not a bench decision, and you will have to wait (typically) 30-90 days. Again, it just depends on the judge. Some judges issue their decisions faster than others.

4. Yolanda Navarrete

Answered . No has shortened the time frame to 2 to 4 weeks in most cases.