SSDI how long is the wait from here after ALJ decision?

Downey, CA |

I received a bench decision for SSDI recently out of Long Beach, CA and was wondering if anyone local could tell me the time frames to look at. I've called SSA and they say 60-120 days but I thought it would go through faster with a bench decision. Also, my atty is out of state so he is giving me the "average". My LTD says they may estimate my payments and just pay me the minimum $100 a month until the paperwork comes through. Some of my payments (like car) are understandable and accepting a ltr from my atty but others like Electric and Water are saying if I dont pay I can have my utilitites turned off. Can you let me know the averages you are seeing for this area with a bench decision specifically? I'm trying to prepare for a lapse in payments, worst case.
Thanks

1. No has shortened the time frame to 2 to 4 weeks in most cases.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

2. Once a Judge has made a decision, a written notice of it is created. The file is transferred to a payment center which does the calculation of benefits and mails out a "Notice of Award" about 30 days after the ALJ's decision. Usually the first payment arrives around the same time.
    Eric Bolves
    2110 E. Robinson St. Orlando, FL 32803
    4074-894-1002
    www.thelegalcenter.com

If you are in my practice area, call me for a free phone consultation. 407-894-1002. Answering a question on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. I'm not officially your lawyer until we have had a one on one conversation and you have signed a retainer agreement. I practice bankruptcy in Orlando only. I practice Social Security Disability law throughout the State of Florida. Offices 2110 E. Robinson St. Orlando, FL 32803.

3. If you got a tue bench decision, the ALJ would have read the decision into the record and you would have gotten a letter in 10 to 14 days. if the ALJ simply announced he was going to approve your claim, that is not a bench decision, and then it could take 2 to 4 months for the deecision and another 30 to 60 days for the final award letters to be issued and benefits to be paid. SSA does not really care about your financial position now - you had a hearing and the case is being written up, so they will get to it soon. It is unfortubnate, but that is how SSA works.

The best news is it sounds like you will get benefits, so good luck to you!

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. It really depends on the judge who is presiding over your case. Bench decisions are announced with much less regularity than regular fully favorable decisions. A "bench decision" is when the judge announces at the hearing that he/she will find you disabled and then reads his/her findings into the record. Usually within 1 or 2 weeks of the hearing, you will receive an abbreviated decision with the findings announced by the judge at the hearing. If the judge merely states he/she will find you disabled but does not read the findings into the record, this is not a bench decision, and you will have to wait (typically) 30-90 days. Again, it just depends on the judge. Some judges issue their decisions faster than others.

Social security topics