Sprint changed how my discount is applied to my family plan. How do I start legal action?

Pittston, PA |

Ive had Sprint almost 2 yrs now. My employer offered a discount on my sprint plan. To have that discount applied Sprint made me extend my contract and that the discount would applied to my entire plan. This month I'm looking at the bill and the only applied the discount to my main line and labeled my second line as an add on line. They are trying to say they will not be allowing my discount to be applied to my second line. That will cheat me out of $5 of a discount and that $5 that isnt been discounted will now be taxed so now I will be charged more in taxes and their surcharges. How do I take legal action against this? The Sprint customer service agent said that this change is a worldwide change (so I'm obviously not the only one being cheated) to Sprint's discount policy. She also

The service rep. also said they made this random change so they can buy LTE coverage that Verizon offers. I see no reason that my discount should be changed so they can buy something with my hard earned money when they have plenty of money of their own. How would I go about fight this in court?

1. Am I correct in understanding that you are being "cheated" out of $5 per month for approximately the next 24 months, for roughly $120?

Aside from the fact that the company probably haa the right to amend or modify their billing practices under your contract, or that your renewal was under some other terms other than your original contract, I do not see economic viability in starting any legal action to recover $120. You could attempt to sue the company in small claims court but even that would probably be a significant cost compared to what you might have suffered in damages.

Reading your entire contract carefully before signing and/or renewing it is still free, though. There might be a way you can object to the charges, opt out, or cancel your contract, but I doubt any of those would really benefit you very much at this point.

Good luck,
    Chris

The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay, 1325 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107, chris@cfaylaw.com, (267) 519-2719, www.cfaylaw.com. LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. You should not act based upon this general information nor without seeking legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. Any client reviews or attorney endorsements posted on this website are solely the opinion of that person and should not be construed as representative of the results you might expect to receive in your specific legal matter. No one can offer a review or endorsement concerning the type or quality of legal work they received in relation to the type or quality of legal work that might be done for you if you become a client of this office. This website is not advertising. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of our attorneys. This website and its feature to contact us do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay or any of its attorneys. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay practices law only in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

2. Right now there is little regulation of cell phone company practices. The theory behind this deregulation is that there are many cell phone competitors in the marketplace and, if you do not like the terms that you have with one company, there is another company to which you can switch.

Although the FCC does not regulate cell phone contracts, it does accept complaints from consumers about cell phone companies. You can do this online and I have included a link for this purpose.

I am sorry about your experience but your only choices are to choose another plan from this company or select another cell phone company.

I hope this helps and may God bless you.

This response is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Questions and answers posted to this forum are public and cannot be kept confidential. Although admitted in DC, I currently reside in Texas.