Spouse's H1B status Vs H4 status

Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

Circumstance- 1. I applied for my wife's H1B in March 2013. 2. Due to family emergency she travelled to India on 30th April, 2013 while her H1B status was in pending status. 3. She attended H4 visa interview on 18th June 2013 and got it stamped. 4. Then she got H1B approval in USA in the week of 24th June. 2013. 5. She returned back to USA on 30th Jul, 2013 on H4. I have below questions – 1. Will my spouse can work on H1B starting as of 1st Oct? If not then, 2. How does I-94 amendment process works? And how much does it cost? 3. What is the next process that myself/employer needs to follow to get her status back to H1B effective 1st Oct. 2013?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brian Haksoon Lee

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1. No.
    2. I don't think it can be amended, but I could be wrong.
    3. It would be much simpler if she goes back to her country and apply for H-1B visa.

    This is general information, not legal advice. This does not establish any attorney client relationship.
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1. No.
    2. No, the employer must either file for a change of status, or she must go home and apply for an H-1B visa stamp.
    3 See 2

    Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is best to talk to the company's immigration counsel and seek his advise on how they wish to handle this situation.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

H-1B specialty occupation visa

If you have special skills and the right experience, you might be eligible for a H-1B visa if there is a shortage of qualified workers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,869 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,869 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering