Spouse imigration

Hi I am green card holder and I am planning to get married this year and my fiancé is from India how fast can I get her to U.S if I marry her?

Austin, TX -

Find Out More

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

Immigration Attorney - Ann Arbor, MI

After you marry, you file the petition for her. It's not possible to give an exact amount of time she would need to wait, but it would be approximately 2.5 years from the date that USCIS receives your properly filed petition, until your wife would be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa. From the time that your wife applies, it would be approximately 3 to 6 months more time until she would be scheduled for a visa interview.

If you have been a permanent resident for 5 years or more, you might be eligible to apply for US Citizenship, depending on whether you meet other requirements. If you were a US Citizen, your wife's processing would be quicker (no need to wait that 2.5 years described above).

Christian Schmidt

Christian Schmidt

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

It takes about 2.5 years for your wife to obtain a green card if you file as a permanent resident. It will be much faster once you become a US citizen.

Nicklaus James Misiti

Nicklaus James Misiti

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

A few years, it is much faster if you are a citizen.

Amanda Faye Mitchell Diaz

Amanda Faye Mitchell Diaz

Immigration Attorney - Austin, TX

I want to add that there is no way to know if will really be 2 1/2 years. While that is an estimate based on the current visa bulletin, the processing time can always change-for better or worse. If you qualify for citizenship, you could become a U.S. citizen to reduce the time she must wait.

Amanda M. Diaz
www.mitchelldiazlaw.com