Spouse green card

Asked over 1 year ago - Oakland, CA

My visa ran out ten years ago but I stayed in US. Never had any problem with law or immigration.
Now I want to marry a USA national that I have been dating for last few years.
But I am worried that if we apply for my green card they deport me due to over stay.
Please advise.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . If you came as a visitor or on one of most of the common types of visas, you can adjust your status in the US.

2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

4

Answered . There are many additional questions that a qualified attorney would need to ask you to determine whether you can apply for a "spouse green card" in the U.S. It may be possible, or you may need to process at an embassy abroad, Best of luck.

3. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . If by "USA national" you mean a US citizen, then your spouse can petition you and you can adjust status as long as you can prove that you entered the US with a valid visa.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

4. Douglas Paul Haffer

3

Answered . Assuming that you have no other inadmissibility issues -- e.g. criminal convictions etc -- the answer is that you will probably not face deportation if you file the I-130 petition and begin the process of obtaining residency. As an overstay, however, you will have to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility (Form I-601) and show that denying your residency application based on your long-term unlawful status in the US would create unusual hardship on your US citizen spouse. The issue of whether you will be able to meet the requirements of the waiver is the key question that will have to be overcome in applying for residency since there are multi-bans from legally re-entering the country if the waiver is not granted.

If the waiver is denied, you will not be granted permanent residency status based on your unlawful period in the country. But, again if there are no other negative factors present, it is quite likely that the worst thing that would happen is that you would have to leave the country under a grant of "voluntary departure" if removal (deportation) proceedings were commenced against you. Not a great result, obviously, but a voluntary departure grant is substantially less-prejudicial in any future application to the return to the US legally than a removal (deportation) order would be

5. Arturo Angel Burga

Pro

2

Answered . Sounds like you are a candidate to adjust (immigrate) your status to Permanent Resident here in the US. Hire an Immigration Attorney to prepare your Petition and Adjustment packet. Depending on your wife's income situation, you might need someone to cosign (Affidavit of Support)