Spousal support and marriage duration..

Asked almost 2 years ago - Albany, NY

my soon to be ex b..is hiding her assets and resigned her job to eat and sleep out of my earnings. we are married for 3 years and the judge ordered 1.5 years spousal support. she gave up her work visa and staying here on visit visa. is she eligible for more than half of our marriage duration spousal support...she could just tell the court she doesn't have status to work and can enjoy my earnings shamelessly...aimless creature..

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There doesn't seem to be a question here.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer... more
  2. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Speak to a local lawyer, if your ex lied in court then you may have the basis to reopen the case.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  3. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is a shame as you said. However, it will probably cost more to try to do something about your situation that it will just to live with it and move on.

    I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

    This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,503 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,503 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering