Spousal support and how to prove I am not working. I took my husband to court for spousal support.

I purchased a house before marriage.Allowed Husband & hisfamily to move into my 2-family house.His family paid rent every month.His family constantly harassed, stalked & verbally abused me throughout our marriage.During our marriage, he was laid off twice where I worked 2 jobs & went to school. I ended up sacrificing my education to maintain my mortgage(mtg)/house. I got laid off & tried to keep up with my mtg, but the abuse escalated. Before I went crazy(afterDr. prescribed depression pills)I walked out of my house & bounced from house to house until I was able to find a place I can rent. I took him to court for spousal support. A friend asked me to help her market her biz online, & I did since i was always on the computer looking for a job. My name was placed as contact if entered wro

New York, NY -

David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Chappaqua, NY

Your information is unclear and an analysis of spousal support issues is impossible without more information about your marriage - but in any event you have an obligation to work towards becoming self supporting. You should consult a local attorney and discuss your situation in detail.

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

Filing an Affidavit signed and notarized by you showing that you are diligently looking for work is a good first step. Contact a family law attorney because an improper Affidavit may prevent you from accomplishing your goals.

David Ivan Bliven

David Ivan Bliven

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - White Plains, NY

Ultimately you'd need at the least a notarized letter from the business owner showing she doesn't pay you anything. Coupled with that, however, is proof of how you support yourself (unemployment, etc.). Expect them to do a searching analysis of what your expenses are versus what income you do have. That said, I suggest you consult a NYC Divorce Attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Consult with an experienced family law attorney. If you are working for your friend by assisting the friend in maintaining a website , it looks like you are working. if you are working for a friend there is the hint that something off the books may be occurring. Also, maintain a job search diary.