Sponsoring a Canadian Citizen

Asked about 1 year ago - Alexandria, VA

I am a U.S. permanent resident and my fiancé is a Canadian citizen. She is on F-1 visa (Doctor of Chiropractic with a Masters degree-EB2-category). Is it better for us to file for I-130 (wife-petition) OR find an Employer that will sponsor her H1B visa and proceed to permanent residency? Is TN1 preferred than H1B? Would she be able to adjust status under TN1? Our goal is to stay together in the U.S. and for her being able to work.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . You do what you want. I-130 in this category is current now so it will be much faster. You can file for AOS right the way.

2. Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski

Answered . You can get married and sponsor your fiancé. This may be the best option at this point. You should consult with an immigration lawyer individually to make the best decision. Many of us offer free consultation for marriage-based cases.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369
    ismail@islawfirm.com
    www.islawfirm.com

3. Inara Khashmati

Pro

Answered . If you are planning on getting married it would be the best and fastest option. Hire an attorney to assist you in this process to make sure everything is done correctly to avoid any delays. Good luck!

4. Lalita Haran

Answered . You are asking this at the ideal time and can benefit from the current visa bulletin situation. Talk to an attorney for help. Bets Wishes
    Lalita Haran
    (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com