Splitting the Arizona Vehicle Exemption

Tucson, AZ |
Filed under: Bankruptcy exemptions

I have worked in bankruptcy offices where the vehicle exemption is habitually split. This--" Married debtors may not split this exemption, for example by claiming one vehicle worth $3,000 exempt and another vehicle worth $7,000 exempt"--is new to me. What local/Federal rule does this fall under for reference (as no cite is given)? What citation source clarifies this for future reference?

Thank you,

ARS 33-1125 governs personal property in bankruptcy.

Each spouse has a $5,000 exemption that they can apply to the same vehicle or to separate vehicles.

ARS 33-1125

Hope this helps.

Legal disclaimer: This communication is for information purposes only and does not represent legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.

it does to an extent. However, it doesn't explain what actual authority is being relied upon for "splitting" the vehicle exemption among different vehicles by a married couple, a situation being encountered more and more often through trustees denying the splitting and the author's assertion that it can't be done. Interpretation is one thing; I'm wondering what the actual authority is denying the splitting or if it is simply interpretation of the exemption. Thank you.

Are you applying a wildcard exemption under federal law?

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt