Speedy Trial waived prior to formal charges being filed. 13 months later, the state is filing a different charge? Legal?

My first arrest and I am over 50 years old . No criminal history . Wound up in an altercation and was arrested with a misdemeanor . I was released and waived speedy trial . Then no charges were ever filed . I called about getting my bond money back just after a year since nothing was filed and was advised that they have not dropped my case yet ? Now , four weeks later , over a year after my arrest , they are filing a Felony Charge . I can accept a plea to a misdemeanor and get 6 months probation or fight the felony charge . Seriously , this was not a Felony type thing and how can they change the charge over a year after my arrest ? I waived the speedy trial of a MISDEMEANOR ( arrest report ) and not a FELONY . Can they really do this to make me plea after 13 months have past ?

Miami, FL -

Anthony Rubino

Anthony Rubino

Criminal Defense Attorney - Miami, FL

There may be issues here but more information is needed.

I assume the original charge was Battery and now it is being increased to Felony Battery or Aggravated Battery? How did you find out the State is now charging you with a Felony?

How did you waive your speedy trial after you were arrested? Did you appear in court at an arraignment? Did you have an attorney? Do you now have a new arraignment date?

I would strongly recommend that you consider retaining a criminal defense attorney to help you through this. My offices are located here in Miami and I my practice is devoted exclusively to criminal law. Feel free to contact me.

Best of luck.

Robert Jonathan Lee

Robert Jonathan Lee

Criminal Defense Attorney - Miami, FL

As my colleagues previous have stated, absent more it is tough to make an informed assessment of your situation, but I will non-the-less try.

If you in fact waived speedy, it is ultimately up to the trial judge to determine whether or not too much time has passed prior to requiring a case be presented for trial. This can generally only be reversed in the instance where there has been an abuse of discretion on his or her behalf.

As was stated previous, this is definitely no slouch of a matter and you will need a criminal attorney here in Miami to assist you.

Robert C. Keller

Robert C. Keller

Criminal Defense Attorney - Havertown, PA

Your attorney would be in the best position to answer this question. If you cannot afford a private lawyer, make sure you secure a public defender. Good luck.

Related Advice