Skip to main content

Speeding ticket from a cop that was going the opposite direction and says he clocked me at 81mph. Is this even possible?

Alabama |

My friend was driving (way too fast) and saw a cop on the other side of the road driving in the opposite direction. The cop did a U-turn and caught up with my friend who by this time had slowed down. Cop said he clocked him from the other side of the road going 81. Can this be faught? Is this even possible? My friend says he was going fast but not 81. I believe he said he was going around 75. It just does not seem likely that a cop, while driving, would just pull out a radar gun and clock someone while he is moving in the opposite direction. Seems that it would throw off the radar. If anyone knows anything, let me know. Thank you!

Attorney Answers 2


Is it possible, YES. Depending on the sophistication of the radar unit, how it was mounted, how it was set up for operation and the training of the officer. Quite frankly, from a defense point of view, the difference between 75 and 81 is not the issue I would be using to defend a client here in NJ. I suggest that your friend discuss the options with an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in AL before they decide how they want to handle this. Good luck.

This information is offered for informational purposes only. It is not intended as legal advice and you should not rely upon it to decide how to resolve this issue. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established by this response. You are faced with a situation where you need to consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice law in NJ before you make any decisions as to how to resolve this issue.

Mark as helpful


An attorney familiar with the policies and procedures of the court will know the likelihood of negotiating such a resolution given the circumstances of your case.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Mark as helpful

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics