Speeding ticket 30-39 mph over best/worst case scenarios in Illinois?

Asked over 2 years ago - Joliet, IL

What are the best and worst case scenarios for a traffic violation of speeding 30-39 mph over the posted speed limit for a first offense.
What is most likely to happen? Is a lawyer needed?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Owen David Greenberg

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need a lawyer, since it is a class b misdemeanor and carries a possible penalty of up to 6 months in county jail. Best scenario is supervision, worst for a first offense is a conviction, although no one can guarantee no jail time.

  2. Brandon Kenneth Davis


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . In Illinois, speeding 31-39 mph over the limit is now a Class B Misdemeanor, punishable by up to $1,500 in fines and 6 months in jail. If you plead guilty, the best result is Court Supervision. You should speak with an experienced attorney to discuss your options. Many attorneys, including our office, offer free consultations. More information on this specific offense is available at the links below.

    The information contained in this answer is offered for informational purposes only. This information does not... more
  3. Ted Harvatin


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Depends on where you got the ticket, and only an experienced traffic lawyer in that county is going to know the answer.

  4. David J. Winer

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Since the ticket is now calssified as a misdemeanor offense, I recommend getting a lawyer who practices in the County courthouse where you got the ticket. Every courthouse and Judge deal with these types of offenses diffrently, Some are lenient, while others are very tough. Depending on your driving record you may be eligible for Court Supervision whichis the best case scenario.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now