Speeding ticket, allegedly 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. Harford, Maryland

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bel Air, MD

I am a New York resident. I conduct criminal investigations for the State of New York. I received a speeding ticket while driving to DC in Harford, Maryland claiming that I was going 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. I was told the points don't transfer to New York, but my employer recently sent out a memo that we are prohibited from driving a vehicle during work hours for any state business if we have any traffic violations on our driving record. That means I will not be able to do my job. 90% of the job is out on the field, that requires a lot of driving. What are my options to get the ticket reduced to a non- moving violation or dismissed entirely?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lawrence Roger Holzman

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In Maryland if you driving record is clean and you are otherwise make an exemplary presentation, you may be able to obtain what is called a "probation before judgment" -- you would pay a fine and there would be no finding of guilt. With no finding of guilt, you would be able to truthfully answer that you have no traffic violation convictions (innocent til proven guilty right?). You also would be able to move to expunge the record after the probation period ends.

    Lawrence R. Holzman

  2. Richard Alan Simmons

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Holzman.

  3. M. Todd Miller

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I encourage you to hire legal counsel in the state where the infraction occurred and dispose of it. Most states have some reciprocity agreement with neighboring jurisdictions. As always, it's bes to hire an experience attorney to help.

    NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,400 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,400 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering