Speeding ticket, allegedly 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. Harford, Maryland

Bel Air, MD |

I am a New York resident. I conduct criminal investigations for the State of New York. I received a speeding ticket while driving to DC in Harford, Maryland claiming that I was going 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. I was told the points don't transfer to New York, but my employer recently sent out a memo that we are prohibited from driving a vehicle during work hours for any state business if we have any traffic violations on our driving record. That means I will not be able to do my job. 90% of the job is out on the field, that requires a lot of driving. What are my options to get the ticket reduced to a non- moving violation or dismissed entirely?

1. In Maryland if you driving record is clean and you are otherwise make an exemplary presentation, you may be able to obtain what is called a "probation before judgment" -- you would pay a fine and there would be no finding of guilt. With no finding of guilt, you would be able to truthfully answer that you have no traffic violation convictions (innocent til proven guilty right?). You also would be able to move to expunge the record after the probation period ends.

Lawrence R. Holzman

2. I encourage you to hire legal counsel in the state where the infraction occurred and dispose of it. Most states have some reciprocity agreement with neighboring jurisdictions. As always, it's bes to hire an experience attorney to help.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

3. I agree with Holzman.