Speeding in NYC

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

I was stopped for speeding on Harlem River Parkway. Going 70 in a 50 zone. The ticket just says Speeding over maximum, LIDAR

I know there is no plea bargaining for traffic offense in NYC. Is there anything I can do when I go to the hearing at the violations bureau? Can I request documentation on their radar and police report?

Please help

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The best thing you can do is hire a traffic court regular who will know how to cross-examine the officer.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Matthew Jay Weiss

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . At your hearing, you can see whatever documentation the officer brings with him. It may be a Memo Book, a copy of the ticket with his notes and/or a Radar/Lidar activity sheet. Other than that, there is no discovery at the Traffic Violations Bureau.

    I wrote and article that may help you fight this ticket. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or would like a free consultation.

    Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 www.nytrafficticket.com Since 1991, we make fighting... more
  3. Yefim Rubinov

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are correct. There is no bargaining in NYC. You may not request a radar report or anything else from NYPD regarding the violation. Really, it is your word against the cop's. However, there are ways to beat these tickets. Hire a lawyer to try to do so on your behalf and you won't even have to appear in Court.

  4. Benjamin J Lieberman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can request that the police officer turn over his/her memo book but it's doubtful that you would get any radar documentation in NYC. Consider getting a lawyer to assist you.

  5. Michael J Palumbo


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . http://www.AttackThatTicket.com

One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Speeding tickets

A speeding ticket is given for driving faster than the posted speed limit, including on roads with variable speed limits, which change with conditions.

Gregory Maurice Wagner

Speeding infractions

What to look for in defending you speeding infraction. Citation Look at citaion to see if officer has indicated what type of speed measuring device was use to determine the speed of the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,190 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,190 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering