Speeding in NYC

New York, NY |

I was stopped for speeding on Harlem River Parkway. Going 70 in a 50 zone. The ticket just says Speeding over maximum, LIDAR

I know there is no plea bargaining for traffic offense in NYC. Is there anything I can do when I go to the hearing at the violations bureau? Can I request documentation on their radar and police report?

Please help

1. You are correct. There is no bargaining in NYC. You may not request a radar report or anything else from NYPD regarding the violation. Really, it is your word against the cop's. However, there are ways to beat these tickets. Hire a lawyer to try to do so on your behalf and you won't even have to appear in Court.

2. You can request that the police officer turn over his/her memo book but it's doubtful that you would get any radar documentation in NYC. Consider getting a lawyer to assist you.

3. The best thing you can do is hire a traffic court regular who will know how to cross-examine the officer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. At your hearing, you can see whatever documentation the officer brings with him. It may be a Memo Book, a copy of the ticket with his notes and/or a Radar/Lidar activity sheet. Other than that, there is no discovery at the Traffic Violations Bureau.

I wrote and article that may help you fight this ticket. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or would like a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 www.nytrafficticket.com Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.

5. http://www.AttackThatTicket.com
    1-877-99-NO-TIX

Traffic tickets topics