Speeding in NYC

New York, NY |

I was stopped for speeding on Harlem River Parkway. Going 70 in a 50 zone. The ticket just says Speeding over maximum, LIDAR

I know there is no plea bargaining for traffic offense in NYC. Is there anything I can do when I go to the hearing at the violations bureau? Can I request documentation on their radar and police report?

Please help

You are correct. There is no bargaining in NYC. You may not request a radar report or anything else from NYPD regarding the violation. Really, it is your word against the cop's. However, there are ways to beat these tickets. Hire a lawyer to try to do so on your behalf and you won't even have to appear in Court.

You can request that the police officer turn over his/her memo book but it's doubtful that you would get any radar documentation in NYC. Consider getting a lawyer to assist you.

The best thing you can do is hire a traffic court regular who will know how to cross-examine the officer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

At your hearing, you can see whatever documentation the officer brings with him. It may be a Memo Book, a copy of the ticket with his notes and/or a Radar/Lidar activity sheet. Other than that, there is no discovery at the Traffic Violations Bureau.

I wrote and article that may help you fight this ticket. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or would like a free consultation.

Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 www.nytrafficticket.com Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.

http://www.AttackThatTicket.com
1-877-99-NO-TIX

Traffic tickets topics