Speeding in a school zone should i have a lawyer?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Galloway, OH

i was caught going 18 mph over the speed limit. should i have a lawyer with me in court?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert C. Gigstad

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You should at least consult with an attorney in your area. Most places in Kansas where I am from will not allow you to get a diversion or an amendment if you are caught speeding in a school zone. I'm not sure what the situation is in Ohio, but most attorneys will offer you a free consultation to explain your rights to you. Best of Luck with your ticket.

  2. Jon Michael Zimmerman

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Speeding in a school zone violations are serious traffic offenses because insurance companies believe that you are going to kill a child, and if you hit one going 18 over the speed limit, the statistics say kids die. From a risk standpoint, insurance companies typically raise rates significantly when the companies see this type of an offense on a driver's record. This is why it's critical to have an attorney experienced in defending traffic tickets in your area represent you. In a number of states, including Washington, judges are not even allowed to reduce the fine; however, if an attorney gets your ticket dismissed, the offense will not affect your driving privilege or your insurance. This can also mean no fine as well.

    This answer is given merely for informational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,037 answers this week

3,106 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,037 answers this week

3,106 attorneys answering