Speeding in a school zone should i have a lawyer?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Galloway, OH

i was caught going 18 mph over the speed limit. should i have a lawyer with me in court?

1. Robert C. Gigstad

Answered . You should at least consult with an attorney in your area. Most places in Kansas where I am from will not allow you to get a diversion or an amendment if you are caught speeding in a school zone. I'm not sure what the situation is in Ohio, but most attorneys will offer you a free consultation to explain your rights to you. Best of Luck with your ticket.

2. Jon Michael Zimmerman

Answered . Speeding in a school zone violations are serious traffic offenses because insurance companies believe that you are going to kill a child, and if you hit one going 18 over the speed limit, the statistics say kids die. From a risk standpoint, insurance companies typically raise rates significantly when the companies see this type of an offense on a driver's record. This is why it's critical to have an attorney experienced in defending traffic tickets in your area represent you. In a number of states, including Washington, judges are not even allowed to reduce the fine; however, if an attorney gets your ticket dismissed, the offense will not affect your driving privilege or your insurance. This can also mean no fine as well.