Skip to main content

Speeding 80 on a 55....

Forest Hills, NY |

I have a very bad stomach. I was on my way home when my stomach started acting up. I can get documentation from a doctor to confirm this. I was clocked going 80 on 55 in westchester ny. I am guilty. I know i was going over the speed limit. However i dont know by how much. Can i get legel advice?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2



You have been charged with speed for 55 in violation of VTL 1180-b for allegedly traveling 80 MPH in a 55 MPH zone which for a first offense within 18 months is punishable by a fine of between $90 and $300, up to 15 days in jail, 6 points, and a mandatory surcharge of $85.00. If convicted, you would also be charged a driver responsibility assessment of $100.00 per year for the next three years by the NYS DMV. If convicted, your insurance company may also surcharge you. I suggest you review the merit plan portion of your insurance policy to determine if your insurance company can surcharge you for a single moving violation. I also suggest that you contact a traffic ticket attorney in Orange County about negotiating a plea reduction agreement on your behalf to eliminate and/or minimize the above stated consequences.

Best regards,

George P.Conway

PS: I suggest you be very careful arguing that you suffer from a medical condition that makes it necessary for you to sometimes exceed the posted speed limit. Someone might think you should stop driving until you get the condition under control.


Contact me if you want the name and number of a good traffic court attorney. Westchester is usually about collecting revenue so a good lawyer may be able to negotiate a reduction in points, which will help you with your insurance.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer