SPEEDING, Operating while revoked (REV DUE TO ALC/CONT SUBST/REFUSAL), FAILURE TO INSTALL IID

Asked over 1 year ago - Appleton, WI

I was speeding (15mph over) and was pulled over on the freeway In Fond Du Lac county. I do not have my licence, my occupational licence, nor do I have the IID installed. I have my alcohol assessment coming up next week and wish to fully comply. Court date is June 17, 2013. I'm wondering what charges i'm potentially facing. I'm also not sure whether to just plead guilty and face the consequences or try to plead for a lesser sentencing. Licence was revoked because of a refusal. I only have the one owi and no other criminal charges.

1. Jay K. Nixon

4

Answered . In Wisconsin, this would be considered a drunken driving related OAR (operating after revocation), even though it resulted from a refusal, which makes jail time a possibility, even on your first offense. You therefore need to be represented, since the consequences of the OAR are potentially even worse that those from the OWI first, for which you now appear to be starting your AODA (alcohol or other drug assessment). With some good advice and total abstinence from alcohol, the outcome does not have to "life changing." Please do not assume that I am your attorney because of my response here, but feel free to call my office in Racine (262-633-3090 or email nixon@execpc.com) for clarifications regarding my answer. Otherwise, under the rules of this website, I would not be taking any further action on your case. See me on the web at www.jayknixonlaw.com. View my past answers at http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/53401-wi-jay-nixo... , or see an even larger collection of responses at http://www.lawguru.com/answers/search/attorney/..., . Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.

2. Michael C. Witt

Pro

4

Answered . Both the OAR and failure to install charge are criminal charges. You need to get an attorney. If you can't afford one, start by contacting the public defender.

3. James Donald Garrett

2

Answered . You need some sound legal advice. Contact an attorney immediately to discuss you facts. They may be able to give you direction on how to help your situation.