Special Education Question: When is individual instruction by a special education teacher or reading specialist appropriate?

Asked 7 months ago - Medford, NJ

My child's placement is changing from in class support to pull-out replacement resource for language arts. It has been recommended by independent evaluation that he receive some individual instruction, but the request has been denied. I have heard that individual instruction is difficult to obtain. I am wondering how this is currently upheld in NJ courts?

1. Jonathan Seth Corchnoy

1

Answered . Every case is different. IDEA Due Process litigation is very fact specific. Your question is beyond the limits of this forum without an individual review of your child's individual records.

2. William J Popovich

1

Answered . When it is appropriate for your child with his particular circumstances. Experts can disagree. When they do, if you can't agree on an IEP - because your "independent" evaluator does not have more weight than the ones that work for the school - the court will decide. Get an education attorney who will file for a quick resolution. Till then the old IEP remains in effect.

3. Matthew T Famiglietti

Pro

1

Answered . You need to obtain a qualified Special Ed attorney through this website or contact the COPAA website. You need to file for a Due Process Hearing. But retain a qualified attorney first. Good luck!