Special education: How do you write a request to terminate your child's IEP?

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Education law

Do you write Dear CSE I would like to terminate my child's IEP or what?

Since the IDEA was amended in 2004 parents have had the right to refuse or terminate all special education services provided by the IEP. The most direct way to do it is to ask for an interim IEP meeting. At that IEP meeting state in writing that you want to terminate the IEP and make sure they do so.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented here should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship

You would need to write that, and you would to justify why you would be terminating the IEP. Perhaps you would be better off getting a severe modification.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law