South African, in USA on 8month internship. Didn't realise I could only stay 6 mnths at a time,now 2 wks over that. What 2 do?!

Sophia, NC |
Filed under: B-2 tourist visa

I applied for a US visa in December 2011, was granted a 10 year multiple entry visa. At my application interview, I informed them that I was going to be in States for an 8 month internship, so when I was granted the visa I assumed that it would be alright for me to stay the full 8 months. I had a strange feeling about it last wk though, & after some online search I discovered that I am only allowed to stay for 6 months at a time (unless I'd applied for an extension of stay) - I wish I had been properly informed of that earlier. The stamp in my passport (with date of entry) has a blank for date I should exit by,has not been filled in. Who do I contact? Immigration? Customs and Border Protection? Return flight is 22 Sept, when internship ends. Can't afford to purchase another flight. Advice?

Your facts are a bit confusing .. What visa class were you admitted under? What is your 'until' date?
Both are on the white I-94 form that was placed into your passport upon arrival.

If you want to contact anyone, contact an attorney ... NOT a government agency.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Review your case with an attorney.

I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.