Skip to main content

Soon to be ex husband has filed for custody and is requesting a hair folicle drug test, because he HEARD I was using drugs

Bakersfield, CA |

my soon to be exhusband has filed a declaration stating he heard that I use drugs, and is requesting a hair folicle test for me and my mother, is this something the judge or mediatior can order? I dont use drugs, and I know if a test comes back dirty, then he has slipped me something. how can I argue this in court? and if we both have dirty tests will the court take our kids?

Attorney Answers 3


In determining what is in the children's best interest, the court must consider things such as the "habitual or continual use of controlled substances" or alcohol abuse by either parent. However, the judge has NO AUTHORITY whatsoever to order you to submit to drug testing simply because your ex heard that you use drugs. In my opinion, the court has no authority to order a drug test as that would be judicial over-reaching on the court's part and is a violation of your privacy rights.

The Code states that a court may consider drug/alcohol abuse when there is independent corroboration: "Before considering these allegations, the court may first require independent corroboration, including, but not limited to, written reports from law enforcement agencies, courts, probation departments, social welfare agencies, medical facilities, rehabilitation facilities, or other public agencies or nonprofit organizations providing drug and alcohol abuse services."

I am including links below which may be of some help. Good luck.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


First off his statement is hearsay and TOTALLY unreliable. If you handle this right-- calmly-- wild unfounded accusations can be more of a reflection on the accuser then on you. But no the court will nor order tests on you and has NO jurisdiction over your mother.

If the two of you cannot avoid ugly battles abut fitness the means is a 730 eval. Expensive--but admissible.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Because hearsay statements are not considered permissible evidence in court, the courts cannot force you to take a drug test. Other than that, I would recommend you seek counsel with a local attorney. You don't have to retain the attorney, but I would imagine you would feel a lot more comfortable entering the court room after meeting with an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics