Soon-to-be ex damaged and stole non-marital property ($110K). How can I ensure that a judgment be paid by him?

Asked 12 months ago - Kansas City, MO

Am asking for payment of damaged home and pers. prop. as "property held by spouse". I understand that a civil judgment could be discharged if he filed bankruptcy. So I will seek all of it inside the divorce. I am certain that he will try to avoid payment by an means (unemployment/bankr.) Can the money be written as marital debt and as a maintenance payment with a time frame of perhaps 10 years? Then if money is not paid in that time frame, could I ask for balance to be taken out of his pension upon retirement? Marriage was a short time, but damage was extreme. Also a large disparity in incomes (his is 3x more- but he has no assets). How can I ensure that I get the money paid back? Can maintenance be written somehow regardless of re-marriage? I am wary of recoupment.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to discuss the issue in detail with a local attorney - what you've posted is insufficient for anyone to analyze the problem.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,419 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,419 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering