Son was accused of plagiarism?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Education law

My son is a student in a public highschool and was accused of plagiarizing a paper for history class. He’s shown me and the school his notes, outline and rough draft to prove he didn’t purposefully plagiarize the paper but the teacher is still pushing for expulsion because it’s school policy. Is there any way for him to not be expelled for this seeing as it was unintentional?

1. Your son is entitled to defend against this accusation in an internal administrative appeal. The school will, on your request, advise you of the details and requirement for accessing the admin appeal process, including the critical (and short) time deadlines. It is important to exercise the right to admin appeal as the accusation he is facing can have severe consequences for his future. You may want to engage legal counsel to signal to the school that this matter is not going to be received lightly.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Education law topics