Skip to main content

Son had auto accident. Ticketed for failure to keep right. person in the other vechicle summons him to court. What will happen.

14850 |

What does he need to do now and he has no money.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Without money it will be hard to defend himself. He should contact a local attorney however without money that will be difficult to place a retainer. He will likely be at fault for this without representation.

    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  2. If by summons to court you mean he received a summons and complaint in a civil action for personal injuries, I'm hoping he placed his insurance carrier on notice of the accident. Assuming there is a defensible position and the carrier doesn't pay out the policy outright, the carrier will provide counsel to defend the civil suit as a component of hi coverage.

    If you find this answer useful, please mark it as "Helpful". Likewise, if you believe it is the most responsive, please mark it as the "Best Answer". The information provided herein is for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice or legal opinion. You should not rely upon the information provided at this site without seeking individual advice from an attorney. No attorney-client relationship can be assumed or created by this post.

  3. As already advised, report the accident to the insurance carrier for the vehicle that your son was driving (hopefully he did this already) and advise them of the receipt of legal papers. If this is a civil action where he is being sued for damages due to alleged personal injury of the other person, the carrier will assign defense counsel and pay any judgment, up to the amount of the coverage under the policy/

  4. He should notify his auto insurance carrier right away.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  5. He should contact his insurance company to defend. Also, it is worth a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight the citation.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755