Someones tax return was accidently deposited into my checking account by the preparer. I spent the money because i thought it. .

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

Was mine. Am i at fault? I cannot replace the money it was 7,000.

1. Everett R. Buck

Pro

8

Answered . Even though this happened to you "accidentally", this is the kind of situation that can have difficult and even criminal repercussions, particularly since you already spent the money and cannot repay it. You need to have a confidential discussion with a tax attorney about the possible options and consequences of actions you may take to try to resolve this matter.

2. Dana Whitney Atchley

8

Answered . Whether you're at fault or not, the money wasn't yours and therefore you must return it to its rightful owner. If the return preparer makes its client whole by paying the client for that money, then the preparer will be able to collect that money from you if you do not repay it.

Keep in mind that there may be criminal consequences as well as civil consequences if you don't immediately contact the people involved and try to work out a way for you to repay the money.

If you cannot repay the money in full, then I would strongly advise you to speak with an attorney who has criminal law experience and to not say anything more about this matter in public or online.

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You have to reimburse the person to whom it rightly belongs, or reimburse the preparer, who's insurance likely already paid a claim. Hire an attorney right away or you could be facing serious trouble.

4. David B Pittman

Pro

3

Answered . The money was not rightfully yours to spend there could be many civil as well as criminal components to this. You need to repay it or hire a lawyer to defend you.

5. Mansoor Hussain Ansari

3

Answered . You are surely liable. Once the individual (that did not receive their return) files a police report, it will open you up to liability right away. Coming forward on your own would be the best thing. Start saving up some money.

6. Alan Dean Tysinger

Pro

1

Answered . You will definitely have to repay it. It is likely that a payment plan can be worked out. This is one of those cases where the longer you take to respond in good faith willingness to repay (even if you lack the current means to repay), the more likely it is that criminal charges or other penalties will make this situation much more difficult.