Someone with no drivers license, but driving a car insured/owned by someone else, hit me while he was running a red light

Temple, TX |

A driver ran a red light and hit my car. He had no license, but was driving a car that was insured by a family member. The driver was the only one present at the time of the incident, and admitted fault to me only. The owner of the car showed up on the scene at the same time as the police. The owner denied all fault, and the driver stopped talking, and was hauled off in an ambulance, even though he was clearly uninjured (he was being instructed to act injurred by the vehicle owner). The owner accused me of running the red light, even though I have an eye witness to what really happened. Can the vehicle owner's insurance automatically deny any claim simply because the driver was not licensed? What to I need to do here?

There are two potential issues. First, is liability or who caused the accident. Second, is coverage i.e. whether the policy covers this loss. You should contact a personal injury lawyer in your area for a consultation.

A good personal injury lawyer will go after the insurance on the car and recover money for you.

Click on the name or picture of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Secure all evidence available - photos, witnesses statements - report this to your insurance company and contact an attorney. If injured, get proper medical attention. All without delay.

This is a pretty common scenario, I'm afraid. Yes, lots of insurance companies will try to use it as an excuse to say their insurance doesn't apply. But that doesn't mean it's true. Before choosing an attorney, make them tell you how they've solved this problem before. If they don't have examples, move on to one who does.

Andvask them how many clients each attorney in the firm has. The higher the number, the more likely it is that they'll quit on you if the insurer puts up a fight.

Marc