Someone who applied for asylum, can still get married even his asylum case is still processed? Please give me an answer. Thanks

New York, NY |

Hello,

I applied for asylum a year ago and I'm supposed to be heard by an immigration judge, but I still have not been scheduled for the hearing.
Now I plan to get married with my fiance who has a green card.
I would like to know if it's possible to be married if I already have an asylum case? Or if I get married , my asylum case will be just cancelled?

1. Please see the answer to your other question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. You need to have your case evaluated by an immigrant attorney. You may get married while your asylum case is pending, HOWEVER, you will face proving that this marriage is legitimate..it is a difficult burden to prove because they presume the marriage took place in order to avoid removal. Getting married does not of itself terminate your asylum case/immigration court proceedings...there is much more involved and paperwork that must be prepared to seek status through a legitimate marriage to a lpr or usc. Without knowing specifics about you and your case, it is difficult to answer your question more specifically. Good luck.

3. You can get married. I would need to consult with you to determine what could happen to your asylum case.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.