Someone stole about 12,000 worth of musical equipment from me. What will happen if the cops only recover some items but not all?

San Antonio, TX |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

A 3,600 macbook. 2 Gibson Guitars worth 2,600 and 1,600 individually. An vox amplifier valued @1,600. iPad @750. A pedalboard @1,700. I am a professional musician and I was simply having lunch after leading 3 worship services in San Antonio.

You had insurance.... Right?

Contact your insurer and report the theft. Otherwise you will have to buy replacement equipment with your own funds.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Use the police report to assist in your claim via insurance.

If you had insurance you can recover anything lost. If not, you could sue the criminal (who will not have anything to pay even if you win). So if you did not have insurance, you may be out of luck.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes