Someone misusing my name in a non profit organization

Menlo Park, CA |

I was one of the two incorporators of a non profit organization incorporated in CA. I left the non profit and the other incorporator has formed board (and is using the nonprofit for his own personal fund raising benefits). But he is continuing to list me and my wife as founder of organization. He is also using an event that we held long before the non profit was formed as part of the non profit on a website.

We don't want to be associated with this non profit in any way. but he is continuing to misled people calling us founders and listing our names and images in a website.

I have sent him a written email requesting to remove our names and images from non profit. What can we do if he continues to use our names and images as founders to misled people and for his own personal benefit

1. First you have a lawyer write the letter and perhaps it will have more impact.

After that, depending on your budget, you may wish to contact the Secretary of State or think about a civil action. I hope you never get to the last step, and it should not be necessary.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. You can sue for misappropriation, unfair business practices, etc. Talk to an attorney.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456 www.mataelelaw.com

3. I would suggest contacting the CA Attorney General which has oversight over charities based in CA (Registry of Charitable Trusts).

Small business topics