Someone misusing my name in a non profit organization

Asked about 1 year ago - Menlo Park, CA

I was one of the two incorporators of a non profit organization incorporated in CA. I left the non profit and the other incorporator has formed board (and is using the nonprofit for his own personal fund raising benefits). But he is continuing to list me and my wife as founder of organization. He is also using an event that we held long before the non profit was formed as part of the non profit on a website.

We don't want to be associated with this non profit in any way. but he is continuing to misled people calling us founders and listing our names and images in a website.

I have sent him a written email requesting to remove our names and images from non profit. What can we do if he continues to use our names and images as founders to misled people and for his own personal benefit

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . First you have a lawyer write the letter and perhaps it will have more impact.

    After that, depending on your budget, you may wish to contact the Secretary of State or think about a civil action. I hope you never get to the last step, and it should not be necessary.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You can sue for misappropriation, unfair business practices, etc. Talk to an attorney.

    This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation.... more
  3. Brian David Yacker

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . I would suggest contacting the CA Attorney General which has oversight over charities based in CA (Registry of Charitable Trusts).

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now