Someone misusing my name in a non profit organization

Asked over 1 year ago - Menlo Park, CA

I was one of the two incorporators of a non profit organization incorporated in CA. I left the non profit and the other incorporator has formed board (and is using the nonprofit for his own personal fund raising benefits). But he is continuing to list me and my wife as founder of organization. He is also using an event that we held long before the non profit was formed as part of the non profit on a website.

We don't want to be associated with this non profit in any way. but he is continuing to misled people calling us founders and listing our names and images in a website.

I have sent him a written email requesting to remove our names and images from non profit. What can we do if he continues to use our names and images as founders to misled people and for his own personal benefit

1. Michael Charles Doland

2

1

Answered . First you have a lawyer write the letter and perhaps it will have more impact.

After that, depending on your budget, you may wish to contact the Secretary of State or think about a civil action. I hope you never get to the last step, and it should not be necessary.

2. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

1

1

Answered . You can sue for misappropriation, unfair business practices, etc. Talk to an attorney.

3. Brian David Yacker

Answered . I would suggest contacting the CA Attorney General which has oversight over charities based in CA (Registry of Charitable Trusts).